Friday 31 August 2012

Difficult silence

We have lost many children over the past few months who we'd met through hospital.  

Just now I have found out another girl, who was on the ward when my daughter was first admitted and given her diagnosis, has passed away.

She was doing so well too.  

I am devastated.

Her Mum was so kind to us.  Imagine how it must feel to have to share a hospital bay with a family who have just been told their child has cancer.  She was so very kind, and thoughtful, to us that evening and her daughter was a very brave girl who had been through so much.  I will be forever grateful to her Mum for those early days we spent in hospital.  And I cannot believe that she, too, has now been cheated out of her child.  

This thing is horrendous.

And why is this post called 'difficult silence'?  Because she passed away a couple of weeks ago and we didn't know.  Because we don't get told.  Because nurses and consultants and hospital staff have to maintain this difficult silence of confidentiality.  We become like a little community, and the only updates come via the grapevine.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand why they protect the patient and their families.  

It just makes me so sad that we couldn't do anything at the time to show how sorry we are that she has gone.  






No comments:

Post a Comment